Monday, July 28, 2008

Grandma Mary

Alan's Grandma Mary past away last week. He was really close to her so it was hard on him. I was lucky enough to be able to meet her before she past. Last month we flew out and spent the weekend with her. She was such a neat women. I had to laugh because she's the only women I know who would do anything to watch the Dodge's play. She was obsessed with baseball. I guess a few years ago she had to get surgery and she told the doctor she couldn't do it on the day he wanted to schedule her because her team was playing. If you ever went to her house you would find her on her green recliner watching baseball with the volume turned up really loud. She was very kind and I loved her because she was so easy to love and because she was Alan's Grandma. He loved her so much and it made me sad to see him so sad.
We flew out to California this weekend for her funeral. I got to meet Alan's extended family on his mother's side. It was good to meet everyone. It would have been better under different circumstances but good to meet them, none the less. We spent all day Friday at his grandma's house and hung out all night just visiting with everyone. Saturday was the funeral. I probably cried just as much as Alan did. Funerals do that to me. It was interesting though because it was the first funeral I've been to that I felt so much peace. Going to her funeral made me feel at peace with dying. It's not a scary thing. Death is an opportunity and I think the fear most people have is the unknown. How grateful I am to have the knowledge that there is a life after this. Alan and I have been talking a lot about death the last week and the more I think about, the more it fascinates me. I can imagine it is the most peaceful experience to cross over. I felt so happy for Mary because she was 84 and not doing well. She also lost her husband 34 years ago! Could you imagine losing your husband and when you are young? I can just imagine what it must have been like for her to be with him again. What a neat experience that must have been. At the grave site you could see her husband's vault next to her grave. It brought tears to my eyes to think how happy they must be to be together again.
I brought my camera to Cali but it sat in my purse the whole time. It just never seemed like the right time to take a picture until we got to the cemetery. All the grandson's pulling out the casket from the hearse and carrying it to her grave. It was so touching and I missed it! I had left my purse at the hotel. I just wanted to kick myself. So this post has no pictures. :(
After the funeral, we spent the rest of the day at Mary's house while everyone went through her things and picked out what they wanted. All Alan wanted was a mug she used daily to drink her postum out of. That is it. That mug has a lot of sentimental value to him and he was so excited to get it.
It was an emotionally draining weekend but a good one. It was good to meet everyone and it was good to have such a beautiful funeral and say good bye to Mary. We love you Mary! You will be greatly missed!

3 comments:

Debra and Ryan said...

Sorry to hear about Alan's Grandma. I know how you feel about not having a picture. After our race I ran an additional mile to get my camera. I had to have a picture for the blog!!! Ryan thinks I am crazy. It looks like you are doing good. I miss you.
-debra

Kerrie said...

It is so hard to loose a grandparent.I was so close to my Grandma, I still miss her, and she LOVED BASEBALL! She loved her recliner and her baseball.

4 Week Slimdown said...

I am so sorry for your loss.